Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gluten Free Ravioli


Ahhhh!  Ravioli!     This was as much fun to make as it was delicious.  I recently bought a ravioli press and was just dieing to use it.  It made the cutest looking ravioli's.  Each one, a perfect tasty little noodle pocket of cheese and spinach.  I had never used one of these before.  It was $2 at an estate sale, so I just couldn't pass it up. (pictured below)  You can buy it new by clicking here.Norpro Ravioli Maker and Press

Before I found this, I made ravioli a little bigger by hand and called it "gourmet".

The filling and the pasta are the same.  I prefer the cute little pockets, but not everyone has my ravioli press.  So, any shape will do.

Pasta Ingredients

1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup arrowroot flour
1 cup tapioca flour
5 eggs
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon water (if necessary for consistency)

Filling Ingredients

1/4 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup fresh baby spinach (chopped and wilted in a pan)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1 egg yolk for glue

Begin by whisking all the dry ingredients together in your stand mixer bowl.  Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and with dough hooks attached begin adding the eggs one at a time.  Let the mixer gradually pull in flour from the sides.  Add olive oil (and water if necessary).

Chop the fresh spinach into tiny bits and then wilt in a pan..

Mix the ingredients for the filling together thoroughly in a separate bowl and set aside.

For the small pocket ravioli, I rolled out two pieces of dough very thin.  Place the first strip of dough over the ravioli press first.  Then the press template is placed and removed, making the indentions.  Fill the indentions with about 1/2 teaspoon of the filling.  Paint the egg yolk on the edges and in between the filling.  Place the second layer of  dough over the top and roll over it with your rolling pin.  This crimped and sealed the ravioli.

If making without a ravioli press.  I roll out the dough very thin and cut into squares roughly 3 inch by 3 inch.
I place a portion of the filling in the center, brush the outside edges with egg yolk, and seal the edges together and crimp them by hand.

Add the finished ravioli to a pot of boiling water a few at a time, careful not to overcrowd the pot.  The ravioli will float to the top when done.  This doesn't take long.

Smother in your favorite sauce, This time I chose a delicious Ragu'.  I will leave you with this photo of one of the cute pockets cut open.

Enjoy!  I know you will!





2 comments:

  1. will this pasta recipe work for spaghetti? I would love to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried it as a spaghetti, but it holds together really nice in boiling water. I suppose if you have a spaghetti maker (not by hand) it would work. Let me know if you give it a try before I do.

    I do plan on using this pasta to make some lasagna noodles.

    ReplyDelete