Monday, September 13, 2010

Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate No Bake Cookies


This was my second batch of these, the first batch just didn't set up right, and I have some tips for you so yours will set right and with the right texture.

Bob's Red Mill, Whole Grain Rolled Oats, Gluten Free, 2 lbs (907 g)Once again I bought Gluten-Free Rolled Oats from Bob's Red Mill.  With Shawn being super sensitive to gluten We were pleased as punch that Shawn could tolerate and digest these Oats.  I know that some Celiac patients can not digest oats.  Whether this is from cross contamination of regular oats, or the oat itself, I do not know.  What i do know is that my Spouse, Shawn, is super sensitive to gluten (15ppm in a vanilla extract I used to make cookies made him ill), and Shawn can eat these oats without any intestinal issues.

If you are daring like Shawn, give them a try.  If not, talk to your doctor or healthcare provider first.  Since these are consumable by Shawn, I tend to think that other oats that people have eaten and gotten ill from, are cross contaminated.  Either in the field, during harvest, or on the machines during processing.  Bob's Red Mill grows these oats in dedicated fields, on dedicated farms far from wheat, and processed in dedicated gluten free facilities.  They use Elisa 5 testing, both in the fields and in processing to insure it is gluten free.  I feel safe using them.

My grandma always made these cookies when we visited for the summer.  Delicious!

Ingredients

1/2 cup whole milk
1 stick of unsalted sweet cream butter
2 cups of sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats


Begin by placing the milk, butter, sugar, and cocoa into a medium sauce pan.

Heat stirring almost constantly to a rolling boil.  You want to make sure it's at a rolling boil for about 1 minute. It should come to what is called a "soft ball stage".  If it doesn't reach a rolling boil and doesn't boil long enough, it won't set up right.

Here is a choice you can make.  The standard recipe is to use "quick cooking" or "instant" oats.  The Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats  I bought are "rolled".  They do make a "quick cooking" variety also, but rolled is what the stores here carry.   If you would like a cookie that you can eat immediately, as soon as they set up, then put the rolled oats in your food processor and give them a few whirs first.  If not, then use the rolled oats as I did (the cookies will be slightly tough the first day).  The second day however, when the rolled oats have had time to absorb the moisture more, they are absolutely delicious!

When the oats are thoroughly mixed in, spoon some heaping spoonfuls onto waxed paper to cool and set up.

When set up, I cut around the cookies and leave the wax paper attached.  This helps keep them separated while in the cookie jar and can be easily removed when you have a cookie.

Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of your yummy recipes! Any suggestions for substitution for the sugar and whole milk in this recipe? I have many food allergies besides gluten; dairy, eggs, soy, tree nuts, sugar.
    Thank you!
    Terry M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried it out, but ricemilk should substitute for the whole milk without too much variation in the end product. There are many substitutes for sugar on the market some natural, some unnatural. I have never tried them as a full replacement in baking though. Try a few experiments and let me know what worked best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Scotland! I enjoyed reading your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use coconut oil in place of the butter and coconut palm sugar in place of the sugar. I always decrease the oil and sugar slightly. You can easily cut the sugar and oil 25% with good results.

    ReplyDelete