Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup



This is the first time in my gluten-free cooking that i hit a recipe first try. I not only hit it I knocked it out of the park. =]

This simple egg noodle recipe will thrill the gluten intolerant person in your lives. It will thrill you also because they are so delicious. Shawn say's the best gluten free recipe I have come up with yet (I still think my brownies and cookies are the bomb though.)

This versatile noodle can be used for spaghetti, lasagna, pierogi's or any noodle dish you can come up with. They hold together while boiling and handle well even when paper thin.

Here is my noodle recipe.

1/2 cup Soy Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Sweet Rice Flour
1/2 cup Sweet White Sorghum flour
1/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
3 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
5 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Crisco vegetable oil
1/2 cup water (approximately)

Potato starch for rolling them out

I used my stand mixer with dough hooks. Begin by mixing together the dry ingredients thoroughly. Stop the mixer and make a well in the middle of the bowl and add in the eggs and crisco. Mix thoroughly (takes awhile) then begin adding in water 1 tablespoon at a time, and mixing thoroughly in between each tablespoon. I ended up adding about a little more than 1/4 cup. Stop adding water when dough begins to ball up. Set mixer to kneading and let run for a few more minutes while you prepare your workspace. I sprinkled out a good amount of potato starch on the counter. take about 1/4 to 1/2 of your dough at a time and press flat into the potato starch on the counter (flip it over and repeat for other side) Now, begin rolling out the dough, adding more potato starch as needed. Once you have them as thin as you need or want, I used a pizza roller/cutter to cut the dough into noodle strips(pictured below). 



Now the soup: 


6 cups Swanson chicken broth (gluten free)
1 chicken breast
2 tablespoons of shredded carrot
2 teaspoons of  garlic salt

1 stalk of celery (sliced thin, and I removed the strings)

Bring the broth to a rolling boil.  Add the carrots, celery, and garlic salt.

Pan fry the chicken breast until tender in a nonstick pan.  When fully cooked, use 2 forks to shred the chicken and add it to the boiling broth.  Now add the noodles and boil for about 15 minutes more. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Tips ~ Since you are using only half the dough from the noodles, wrap the remaining dough airtight in saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for use with another recipe later.





5 comments:

  1. I would love to make these noodles but I do not want to use soy flour. Any clue what I could substitute it with? I have read I could replace 1 cup soy for 3/4c sorghum + 1/4c brown rice. Thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read a substitute would be Amaranth or Sorghum. Thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds delicious!! Can't wait to buy the ingredients to make these. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is a staple in our house. We make it year round due to the overwhelming requests because it tastes so good!

    Mariz
    Get Best Info for Skagway Shore Tours

    ReplyDelete